4 Things You Need to Know About The HERO Program
This morning on The Home Pro Show on San Diego Living you heard Joel from Mauzy Heating, Air and Solar and Ken from HERO talk about the HERO efficiency financing program. If you’re considering any home improvement upgrades or repairs, see if the HERO program is right for you – more than 900,000 products and 800 San Diego area professionals are already covered.
What is the HERO program?
HERO, or Home Energy Renovation Opportunity, is the number one energy efficiency financing program in the United States, now available in San Diego. HERO partners with local governments to make energy efficient, water efficient, and renewable energy products easier and more cost effective to obtain for homeowners.
How does it work?
The HERO program finances 100 percent of the cost to purchase and install all eligible products with low-fixed interest rates and flexible payment terms including 5, 10, 15 and 20 years for most products. Payments to the HERO program are made through your property taxes, which is delivered by and paid to the county. In most cases under the HERO Program, payments remain with the property in the instance of a sale or refinancing.
Am I eligible?
The HERO program, which is free to apply for, is available for property owners meeting the following requirements:
- Mortgage-related debt must not exceed 90 percent of the property’s value.
- Mortgage payments must be current, and the owner must not have had more than one 30-day mortgage late payment in the past year.
- Property taxes must be current and there can be no more than one late payment in the past three years.
- No outstanding involuntary liens.
- The property owner must not have had any active bankruptcies within the last two years and the property cannot currently be an asset in a bankruptcy proceeding.
Why choose HERO?
In addition to the green benefits of going energy efficient, HERO offers financial and quality-control incentives. Because HERO payments are made through your property taxes, 100 percent of the improvements or repairs made via HERO are tax deductible. HERO professionals must pass a rigorous inspection to become qualified and vendors are paid upon completion of the job, ensuring quality work and homeowner satisfaction.
Does the HERO program sound like a good fit for you? Learn more about specific products and vendors, as well as how to get started at heroprogram.com.